Thursday, September 19, 2013

Author Spotlight: Katt Sterling author of Burning Infinity out October 30th!



Meet new and upcoming author Katt Sterling. We are gearing up for the release of her debut novel Burning Infinity out October 30th.  Since we are so excited about the release of Burning Infinity I thought this would be a great time to get to know who Katt Sterling is.




Title of your work:

My first novel is titled Burning Infinity and has an expected release date for October 30.

Where are you from?

Born and raised in Ontario, Canada.

What genre do you write, why?

Burning Infinity is part of the New Adult genre. I’ve always had a special fondness for young adult fiction. There’s something about the innocence of first love that’s always tugged on my heartstrings. But YA is very “clean” and as much as I love it, I like my steamy scenes too. When I discovered New Adult I was in heaven. It had that bit of maturity I craved coupled with the once in a lifetime innocence often found in YA. NA didn’t just tug on my heartstrings…some of the books I’ve read ripped into my chest, yanked out my heart and stomped all over it. 
I had numerous book hangovers and when I finally came out of them bleary-eyed and slightly panicked I needed therapy, I knew I wanted to be part of this magical world.


What got you started writing?

I’m a sensitive person and I always saw writing as a way to unleash my inner turmoil. It was my happy place. If I had a falling out with a friend because she wouldn’t let me wear the purple dress when we played dress up, I’d go home and write myself a new best friend who always gave me first pick. When all of my friends had dates on a Friday night and I was sitting at home alone, watching reruns of Friends, I’d make up a story with the most romantic hero I could think of (I’ll let you judge how pathetic this is, ha). Writing has always been a huge part of how I coped with life and I always did it for myself. I don’t think I ever actually made the decision to sit down and write in order to achieve a certain goal. It’s simply always been an extension of me.


What made you decide to start publishing your work?

Book blogs. Seriously. The idea of putting out my own work was a dream that floated around in my mind for years but was easily pushed aside. It just didn’t seem like a dream that could come true for a girl like me.  
I’ve always been an avid reader and when I realized there are other people out there who fall in love with fictional characters and talk about them like they’re real, I knew I wanted to join their world. So I started following book blogs. The more blogs I followed, the more attainable my dream to be an author became. I was reading all of these interviews by bloggers who asked authors the questions I’d want to ask. I was reading reviews by readers who shared my thoughts. It made the reading world seem so…real. 
Then one day I was reading an author interview and I thought, you know what? I really want to do this. I want to see my name on a blog somewhere, someday. So I reached out and grabbed onto that dream in the hopes that it wouldn’t be able to float away anymore.


Who is your favorite author and what is your favorite book?

I knew you were going to ask this and so I’ve spent days trying to think of an answer! I can’t. Every time I think I’ve finally come up with one, I remember another author/book and change my mind. I can’t choose. Especially since I love to read so many different genres. But a few of my current favorite authors are Abbi Glines (I’ve read every single book she’s released), JR Ward, Tammara Webber, JK Rowling (I bow down to her) and Jodi Picoult. 
As for my favorite books….Real, Fallen Too Far, every single book by Kristen Ashley, Beautiful Disaster, Lover Eternal, Harry Potter…the list is endless.


What is your writing style? Do you follow an outline? Or do you just sit down and let the story unfold organically?

I like to just sit down and let the story unfold organically. Like I said before, I always wrote when I wanted my life to be a little different. Usually there’s a specific incident or experience in my real life that has me firing up my laptop and delving into my book life. That means I tend to be emotional when I write, so it’s easiest to just let it unfold. 


Do you ever get inspired by someone you know (or yourself) and write them into a character?

All the time. I think I put a little of myself into every character. It may be a characteristic from years ago and it may be a very tiny one, but it’s in there.

What do you want everyone to know about Burning Infinity?
Burning Infinity centers around nineteen year old Isabella, who has grown up in an abusive home. She’s kept the extent of the abuse a secret from her friends and because of how hard she has worked to hide this darker part of her identity, she’s lost sight of who she really is. She meets twenty-five year old Cole Sampson who introduces her to a gentle touch she’s never known before. As Isabella struggles to accept what Cole is offering, the secrets of his life are exposed and she’s left wondering if sometimes the people we love are only meant to be in our lives for a limited time.


Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

My favorite character is actually one who isn’t even in the story that much. But her name is Rebecca and I adore her. I see so many of my own friends in her that in my opinion, she’s impossible not to love.


Do you have a least favorite character?

Yes. One character was harder to write than the others. I’d beg and plead for them to do what I wanted, but they’d decided on their own path and wouldn’t listen to me. I’ll let you read the book and decide who you think it is.


If you could change one thing about Burning Infinity what would it be and why?

I think it would have been nice to have multiple POV’s. I would have loved getting inside the heads of certain characters to better understand what they were thinking when they said this or did that. But Burning Infinity is more about Isabella’s journey and how she grows, so it’s only told from her POV.


Anything else you like to tell us?

Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. You…I…I don’t even have words. <3

How can people find you?
I love connecting with readers. You don’t have to talk to me about my book…just come fangirl with me over other books!



Links:           Facebook             Twitter              Goodreads


***Keep a look out for an announcement 
on how you can be a part of a followup interview 
with Katt Sterling after the Burning Infinity release!***




       

No comments:

Post a Comment