Saturday, August 31, 2013

Relinquishing Liberty by Maureen Mayer Review


Relinquishing Liberty 
by Maureen Mayer



Synopsis
On the outside, Liberty Davis appeared to have it all…a loving family, a tight knit circle of friends, and a bright future ahead of her. Everything was perfect. That is until her brother tragically took his own life, turning her whole world upside down. Left to pick up the pieces of her broken family, Liberty is faced with focusing all of her attention on helping her parents cope with the loss of their son, while putting her own life on the back burner. But what no one seems to realize is that she is just as broken inside. Now, four years later, twenty year old Liberty is taking back the reins of her life. She leaves behind everything she’s ever known, hoping to make a fresh start…one where she isn’t faced with the constant reminder that her brother is nothing more than faded memory. What she didn’t expect to find along the way was Shayne. Tall, dark and tattooed, Shayne Thompson has developed quite a reputation for being a player. Despite everyone’s negative perception, Liberty still finds herself drawn to him. When she learns that Shayne knows all too well what it feels like to lose someone you love, she finds that they have a lot more in common than just a physical attraction. When Liberty discovers a secret from Shayne’s past that threatens to tear them apart, she begins to question everything she’s ever felt for him. Will Liberty choose to follow her heart or will she give up the one person who finally made her feel whole again?

Review

This book was a very good light read. Fast paced story that very dragged on. While I was reading this book I became instantly attached to all the characters. I read this in one sitting! It has everything, wonderful broken characters and sizzling sex. I was laughing and crying.  

Liberty is a very lost, broken, but strong girl. I love this in female leads. She doesn't just roll over and take it, she keeps moving forward. She also seems to be very emotionally dependent on those around her, even though she tries her best not to be.  I really fell in love with Liberty because I could relate to her so easily. I couldn't relate to the situations she found herself in or the past she had, but the way she thought about things with her attitude was very relatable. She ends up finding herself in somewhat of a love triangle, which ends up taking a very interesting turn with some sexy men.

Brett, oh Brett, what can I say.  He was a seriously sexy traditional southern boy with lots of charm. He was the good boy, which had me rooting for him at the beginning. He was what every girl wants a loyal,protective,sexy, southern boy. Yum. Then there's Shayne. He was the cocky misunderstood bad boy who is panty meltingly sexy.  During the story I was convinced that Liberty wouldn't be able to handle Shayne, but I was drawn into their angsty relationship. By the middle of the story I was torn on if I was team Brett or team Shayne. I won't tell you who's team I'm on, because I'm still not sure:) 

The book is a great debut novel.  I just wish there was more character building, but that's just me.  I get so attached to characters that I want to know everything about them and what they're thinking. I was grateful that everyone towards the end seemed to have gone through some healing, except for Maddie, but you'll have to look out for Unforeseen Heartbeat by Maureen Mayer in 2014 for that:) Don't forget to check out the playlist at the end of the book, it was great to have on during my second read through. Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment